Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Saturday 15th May 2021  

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us

Cottages – Wood Lane, Quorn

This postcard was posted in 1905 and is entitled ‘Wood Lane’. It was published for resale by Charles Gamble the newsagents on Station Road. This particular version was printed in black and white and then colour washed. The card was kindly lent to the museum by Joan Leatherland from Swithland. Her husband John's family worked for Holmes the blacksmiths on Meeting Street.

The cottage was called 'Woodside Cottage' and was just over half a mile up Wood Lane on the right hand side as you travel from Quorn to Rothley. It was originally 4 cottages, used for quarry workers, but by 1900 they had been converted into just one dwelling.

‘Bygone Quorn in Photographs’ has the same picture in its original black and white version, with the caption “The Purvin Family outside their cottage, which was demolished in the 1960's.” Surprisingly there are no Pervins/Purvins on the census returns for this area, for 1911 or earlier, and this fact puzzled the museum team for many years. However the mystery was solved in June 2016 when Michael Pervin contacted Sue Templeman. Apparently when the book was being compiled in the late 1970s, Michael was a pupil at Rawlins School, and many photographs were put up in a classroom asking if pupils could throw any light on the subjects. Michael recognised the cottage as being where his grandparents, Frank and Louisa Hall had lived and was his mother Edna's childhood home. He believes that because his name was Pervin, that was how the confusion arose. He was pleased to put the record straight!

John Leatherland also talked of a house further into the wood, called Buddon Wood House - and added details about a cottage even further beyond that: “There was another cottage more in the centre of the wood where the keeper used to live. His name was Stokes but he shot himself.”

On the 1911 census there is an entry for 'Keepers Lodge' in Quorn Woods. The residents are Mark and Annie Stokes (both in their 40s) and their son George (aged 21).

 view larger image
 Submitted on: 2011-08-06
 Submitted by: Joan and John Leatherland
 Artefact ID: 1362
 Print: View artefact in printer-friendly page or just on its own.

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view latest news
 view latest news
 view latest news
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 contact us

Contact Us
Have a query? Contact our team and we'll see if we can help.

 see our Facebook page