Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum   Quorn historical image

Monday 25th September 2023  

Museum Home
About our museum
Artefacts by Number
Quorn's location
The name change
Village publications
Information sources
Museum Award
Contact us

Wright's Directory 1896 – Quorndon entries

Trade directories are a valuable source of information for both the local and family historian. Below is the Quorn section from Wrights Directory for Leicestershire for 1896:

Quorn (formerly called QUORNDON) is a parish and township in the Barrow union, on the west side of the Soar, and consists of one long main street, on the Leicester and Loughborough turnpike, and three other streets branching from it. It is 8 ½ miles N from Leicester, 2 ½ SSE from Loughborough, 1 ½ NNW from Mountsorrel and 1 W. from the Midland station, at Barrow. It is in the Loughborough division, West Goscote hundred, rural deanery of East Akeley, Loughborough County Court district and division of Quorn for the County Council. The river Soar intersects the Eastern portion, which is comparatively flat, but there are excellent drives and walks in the vicinity, from which good views of the Charnwood hills are obtained. Many of the inhabitants are employed in a large elastic web factory. The Earl of Lanesborough is Lord of the Manor, but the land belongs to W. E. Farnham, Esq., Mrs. Herrick, E. Warner, and some smaller freeholders. Mr. Farnham resides at Quorndon House, which is situated to the south of the village, on the northern declivity of the lofty range of hills extending from Charnwood Forest to Mountsorrel. The Hall, which is the residence of Mr. Warner, is on the north east. It formerly belonged to Mr. H. Meynell, the celebrated sportsman, and has been many times occupied by the Masters of the Quorn Hounds, the kennels being near the hall. The chapelry of Quorndon was enclosed and the tithes commuted in 1765. St Bartholomew’s Church is an Early English structure, with Decorated additions. The Farnham Chantry Chapel, built in the 13th century , adjoins the church and contains several memorials of the family; the great ancestor, Sir Robert de Farnham, came to England with William the Conqueror. There is a fine alabaster altar tomb to the memory of Sir John Farnham who died 1587. The north aisle was enlarged 31 years ago, at a cost of £700, and a new vicarage house was built in 1837, at a cost of £1,200. The church was repaired and restored under the direction of Mr. E. Christian, in 1865-6, at a cost of over £2,000. Several stained memorial windows have been put in, three of which are by Wailes & Son of Newcastle. Two additional bells were placed in the tower in 1886 at the cost of Mr. Farnham, and the same gentleman also expended £500 in the purchase of an organ, built by Mr. S Taylor, of Leicester. During the year 1887 the church was restored at the expense of over £500, defrayed by Mr. Farnham. The monuments and slabs were re-cut or restored, the chapel newly floored, and oak panelling introduced. In 1890 a handsome fresco painting by Mr. F. Oldacre, of Epsom, was placed on the wall in the rear of the font. A two-light stained window has been inserted in the south chapel, to the memory of the late vicar. The Registers date from 1576. By order of Council, dated July 30th, 1868, Quorn was separated from Barrow, and constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish. The living is a vicarage of the yearly value of £110, in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough. The General Baptist Chapel was built in 1870. The Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1822, was renovated in 1861. There are also a Primitive Methodist and Roman Catholic Chapels, several Friendly Societies, lodges of Odd-Fellows, Building Society, and Allotment Society, by which plots of 600 yards each are let at small rents.
The town is governed by an Urban Council consists of nine members, one third of whom retire annually, but are eligible for re-election. The Gas Works were established in 1853, at a cost of £3300, raised in £5 shares, and now having a capital of £5000. Quorn, Mountsorrel and Barrow are supplied from these works, and the charge to small consumers is 4s 7d per 1,000 feet, but much lower to large consumers. Mr J Camm is the manager; and Mr W. J. Woolley, solicitor (Loughborough), the secretary. The place is supplied with water by the Leicester Corporation, for which the Local Board is charged at the rate of 4d per 1000 gallons. The Village Hall is on the main road. It contains a capital room (holding 500) suitable for lectures and entertainment: the Urban Council hold their meetings here. Secretary, Mr. G. White, Rose Cottage, Quorn. A Reading Room and Library were started in 1886 by Messrs. M. Wright and Sons. The National School was built in 1835, and an Infant School in 1837, by the trustees of the charity estate, but they are mainly supported by subscriptions and the pupils’ fees. An estate, given by various donors has been voted in trust from an early period, for the support of a minister and schoolmaster, the reparation of the bridges, and relief of the poor. It now produces about £120 a year. The trustees pay £12 to the vicar, £35 towards the schools, the remainder in coals, clothing &c., to the poor, and the repairs on the charity estate. The charity of Thomas Rawlins, under which the school was formerly maintained at Woodhouse, has been remodelled under a Scheme of the Court of Chancery, and a secondary school has been established at Quorn. The governors have purchased a site close to the vicarage whereon to erect school buildings. In 1691, Mrs Margaret Kaye left an annual rent charge of 30s for the poor out of her estate, now belonging to Mr Farnham, and it is distributed in bread on Good Friday. The dividends of £220.7s.9d three per cent stock, purchased with £200, left by the Rev. John Prior in 1830 are also distributed in bread in January. In 1827, George Hyde left £1000 for the poor; but it was not paid till 1838, when it was recovered, with arrears of interest, after a Chancery suit. The proceeds are distributed yearly among the poor of Quorn. In 1878 Miss Farnham devised a sum of £500, the interest of which is distributed in sums of 5s and upwards to poor persons of Quorn, who have not received parish relief for two years. In 1890 the late Mr. Anstead left a sum which produces £5 13s yearly, and is distributed to the poor in bacon and groceries. Acreage of the township, 2120; rateable value £9338 4s 8d.; population in 1891, 1888.

ST. BARTHOLOMEW's CHURCH ,- Services, weekdays 10 a.m. and 6.30 p.m. ; Sunday 11and 6.30. H.C. At 8, also first Sunday in month at mid-day. Vicar, Re. E. Foord-Kelcey, M.A. ;
Wardens, Messrs. W. Thornton and W. J. Meakin; Organist, Mr. V. Dearden (Leicester). Hymns A. and M.
CHAPELS. - Baptist : Services, Sun. 10.15 and 6, Th. 7.30; Steward, Messrs. Smith and North.
Wesleyan : 10.30 and 6 ; Steward, Mr. Joseph Hand.
Primitive : 2.30 and 6 ; Keeper, Mrs. A. Wykes.
Methodist Free Church : 2.30 and 6 ; Steward, Mr. John Judd.

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.- Messrs. J.D. Cradock (chairman), Js. Bolesworth, T. Chapman, J. Darker, B. Fewkes, W.J. Meakin, T. North, E. Thompson, and James Wright; Clerk, Mr. Geo. White; Nuisance Inspector, Herbert Harrod (Barrow); Collector, Mr. James Camm.

POST, MONEY ORDER, AND TELEGRAPH OFFICE, at Mr. Thomas North's Leicester Road. Letters arrive from Loughborough at 6.30 and 1.30; box cleared 11.30 a.m., 6.30 and 8.10 p.m. Week-days ; Sundays 1.20

Adams Charles - Master National School
Adcock John - Farmer and grazier and beer retailer
Adcock Jonathan - Grocer and shopkeeper & beer retailer
Backhouse William Henry - Registered plumber, glazier & gasfitter, sanitary & hot water engineer
Bates Thomas - Wheelwright
Bates William - Wheelwright
Bolesworth Jas. John - Farmer and grazier, Cheveney House
Bonser William - Boot maker
Boyer Joseph - Boot maker
Bramley Mrs. Mary - Dressmaker
Brown Joseph - Agent Prudential
Brown Mr. Oliver Stanley - Wood View
Building Society - Wright's Institute, Freehold Street, J. Camm, Sec.
Callis Jabez Joseph - Grocer and shopkeeper and news agent and beer retailer
Calow Hardy William - Clerk
Camm James - Rate collector, registrar of births, deaths & marriages for sub-district of Barrow, & manager Gas works
Chapman Charles & George - Farmer and grazier
Chapman Thomas - Publican, beerhouse. Apple Tree
Clarke Charles - Grocer and shopkeeper
Conservative Club - George White, secretary
Cooke Mr. William Edward - Artist
Cooper Mr. William
Corlett Isabella Miss - Teacher, National School
Cradock Mr. John Davys - Quorn court
Cragg Thomas - Saddler
Cross Charles - Farmer and grazier, Quorn Fields
Cuffing James - Coal and lime merchant
Cuffing Mrs. Ann
Darker John - Farmer and grazier, Westfield farm
Darker Solomon - Registrar of births & deaths for sub-district of Quorn
Davis Mrs. Kate
Dexter John - Butcher and cattle dealer
Disney Henry - Grocer and shopkeeper, secretary Quorn Co-op. Provident Society
Disney James - Nail maker
Disney John - Boot maker and factor
Dyball Mrs. Catherine - Grocer and shopkeeper and beer retailer
Egan Mrs. Fanny - Dressmaker
Facer Frank - Grocer and shopkeeper, proprietor of Havelock Coffee house & cycle & insurance agent (Refuge)
Facer Henry - Grocer and shopkeeper & joiner, builder & newsagent
Farnham Wm. Edw. John Basil Esq. M.A., J.P., D.L. - Farmer and grazier, Quorn House and 15 Stretton St., Piccadilly, London
Fewkes Ernest Benjamin - Joiner and builder
Fewkes Mr. Benjamin - Barrow Court
Fewkes William. Henry - Joiner and builder
Firr Tom - Huntsman, The Kennels
Foord-Kelcey Rev. Edward M.A. - Vicarage
Gamble Thomas - Farmer and grazier & general carter & coal dealer
Gartshore Edwin. Jn. - Farrier to P.A.O. Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry
Greasley Edward - Foreman at Gas works
Hack David Smith - Grocer and shopkeeper & boot maker
Hack Miss Hannah, Mary - Dressmaker & draper & milliner
Hanson Miss - Teacher, National School
Harris Samuel - Surgeon (with James Unitt)
Hawker Miss Elizabeth Henrietta - The Cottage
Hayward Mr. John Alfred Le Mesurier - Quorn place
Heaps William - Cottage and cowkeeper & carter, carrier to Loughboro'. W
Hole Mrs. Ellen - Quorn Lodge
Holmes John Thomas - Blacksmith
Horspool Joseph - Joiner and builder builder and contractor
Hoskinson Frederick - Beer retailer
Hurst Kate Miss - Teacher, National School
Huskinson Frederick - Publican, beerhouse. Mill House
Inglesant Mr. William Harris - Bleak house
Inglesant Mrs. Mary Ann
Jacques Miss Emma - Private school
Johnson John - Publican, beerhouse Royal Oak
Kinch Mrs. Hephzibah - Publican, beerhouse. King William IV
King William - Grocer and shopkeeper & sexton
Kirby Thomas - P.C.
Laundan Ernest Clarendon - Warehouse man
Lovett Charles - Carrier to Loughboro'. Daily
Lucas Thomas - Jeweller & watch maker
Lucas Thomas jnr. - General dealer and watch maker
Martin Henry - Cottage and cowkeeper & carter and beerhouse Blacksmith's Arms
Martin Israel - Draper & bricklayer
Martin Miss Theresa - Dressmaker
Martin Mrs. Maria - Milliner
Meakin Wilfrid Johnson - Solicitor, Soar House
Miles A - Agent Refuge Assurance Co.
Millis Mr. Samuel - The Elms
Millis Samuel - Publican, victuallar Bull's Head
Moss John - Farmer and grazier & butcher, Quorn Hields
Moyes Rowland - Farmer and grazier
North Thomas - Grocer and shopkeeper & tallow chandler, Post office
Paget William - Grocer and shopkeeper
Painter Mr. Joseph
Pepper Thomas - Farmer and grazier & coal dealer
Priestley George - Grocer and shopkeeper & lamp & oil dealer
Quorn & Mountsorrel Gas Company - James Camm, (manager)
Quorn Co-op. & Provident Society - Draper
Quorn Co-op. Provident Society - Grocer and shopkeeper, Henry. Disney, sec. ; John B. Wisehall, manager
Quorn Village Hall Co. Limited - G. White, Rose Cottage, secretary
Richardson William - Farmer and grazier & butcher
Robinson Mr. James Royland
Rue Mrs. Ann - Grocer and shopkeeper
Rumsby James - Publican, victuallar White Hart
Sanders John - Joiner and builder & timber merchant & saw mill proprietor
Sault Alfred - Publican White Hart
Scott Thomas - Grocer and shopkeeper and chimney sweeper and beerhouse Three Crowns
Sharp John - Boot maker
Simpson William (Thomas Holmes, manager) - Butcher & at Mountsorrel
Smith Miss Vera - Dressmaker
Smith Misses Maria & Lucy
Smith Mrs. Sarah - Westfield House
Squire Archibald - Gardener at The Hall
Stephens Richard Joseph - Architect
Super Mrs. Jemima - Vine House
Swain Miss Annie - Dressmaker
Swain William Yalding - painter & gravestone cutter
Swinfield John Wm. - Boot maker
Tacey Mr. Joseph - Verandah cottage
Thornton Mrs. Harriet - Dressmaker
Thornton William - Tailor & draper
Turner William - Manager at Wright & Sons
Unitt James Arthur - Surgeon (with Samuel Harris)
Village Hall Co. - George White, Sec
Voss George - Grocer and shopkeeper and confectioner
Waddington Mrs. Emma - Baker
Ward John - Farmer and grazier & hay & straw dealer
Warner Edward Handley esq. J.P. - Quorn Hall
Webster Mrs. Charlotte - Baker
Webster William - Grocer and shopkeeper & baker & cab proprietor
White George - Clerk to Local Board & sec. to Village Hall
White John - Surveyor
Wilders Mrs. Elizabeth - Furniture dealer
Wilkinson Stephen - Cottage and cowkeeper and shopkeeper
Wisehall John B - Grocer and shopkeeper, manage Quorn Co-op. Provident Society
Wright James - of M. Wright & Sons
Wright M. & Sons - Elastic & web mfrs
Wright Mrs. Catherine
Wright Philip - of M. Wright & Sons
Wright William - of M. Wright & Sons ; home Loughborough Road
Wykes Mrs. Sarah - Midwife
York John - Carrier to Loughboro'. M., W., Th., Sat. ; Leicester, Tu. & F.

 Submitted on: 2022-07-10
 Submitted by: Gillian Ackers
 Artefact ID: 2500
 Artefact URL: www.quornmuseum.com/display.php?id=2500

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice
 search tips
 view latest news
 view latest news
 view latest news
 what's new What's New
See what items have been added recently.
 can you contribute? Can you Contribute?
We need historical material relating to Quorn village.
 filling in the gaps Filling in the gaps
Help us with names, places, locations and years.

 artefact counter

Artefact Counter
How many artefacts does this online museum contain?

 make a donation

Make a donation
Help to secure more museum artefacts and this site's future.

 see our Facebook page