Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum

Thursday 18th July 2024  

New Baptist Pastor welcomed at Quorn

Loughborough Monitor - May 1st 1959

Prominent local Baptists and representatives of other churches joined in welcoming Mr P A Cooper at his induction to the pastorate of Quorn Baptist Church, on Saturday afternoon.

Mr Cooper succeeds the Rev L Worsnip, from whom a message of greeting and blessing were conveyed during the service. Mr Cooper, who is in business in Leicester, and now resides at Birstall, has been pastor at Eastwood for the past nine years. He served in the Royal Army Service Corps during the war and is married with a family of two boys and a girl.

The church was packed for the service at which the act of induction was conducted by the Rev W J Grant, General Superintendent of the East Midlands Baptist Association. The service itself was conducted by the Rev L Coates, Pastor of Mountsorrel and Rothley Baptist Churches. Also taking part were the Rev T J Hooper, Mr R H Cochrane (Church secretary) and by Mr S L Cooper, brother of the new pastor who took the scripture reading. Mr W Mee was at the organ.

Tea was afterwards served in the schoolroom at which some 30 members of Mr Cooper's former church at Eastwood attended, together with many representatives of local and neighbouring churches. The happy gathering was presided over by Mr C P Mee (senior deacon).

Principal speakers were Mr J Land from Eastwood, Mr D W Northfield (Leicester County Baptist Union), Pastor W Tory, of Sileby, Mrs E Sutton of Barrow, Mr S F Keeping, presenting the Anglican community, Rev G Murray Beard, representing the Methodist Church, and one of the church's oldest members, Mr W J Bailey.

The excellent meal arrangements were under the supervision of Mrs W Freer.

   
 Submitted on: 2012-03-04
 Submitted by: Kathryn Paterson
 Artefact ID: 1534
 Artefact URL: www.quornmuseum.com/display.php?id=1534

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice