Quorn historical image   Quorn Village On-line Museum

The Old Lock-up - then and now

The old lock up was built on the village green in the early 1800s as the village gaol, and later housed Quorn’s fire engine. By the 1920s it had fallen into disuse, but after much local debate was converted into a public convenience and was used as such until the 1960s when the new toilets were built. The older of the two photographs was only taken in the early 1990s, after the building had been leased to the Gas Board, but had again been found surplus to requirements.

These photographs are interesting, not only for the changes to the lock-up, but also to see what has happened in the background. In the early photograph, all the buildings at the back were owned by Wright’s factory. This particular part of the factory area has since been sold and developed as housing. The distinctive mill chimney on the left was taken down in late 1990s. Before the main mill building (on the right) was converted to apartments, it was reduced by one storey. This seems difficult to believe looking at it today, but is very clear when the photographs are compared.

The old lock up is owned by Townlands Charity, leased to Quorn Parish Council and since the 1990s has been used for a take-away pizza business. In 2010 this grade II listed building was restored as part of the Stafford Orchard park refurbishment scheme.

 Submitted on: 2011-05-05
 Submitted by: Sue Templeman. Older photograph supplied by Steve Iley
 Artefact ID: 1241

   Quorn Village On-line Museum
 copyright notice